Friday 31 August 2018

Non Matchday Visit of Stade de la Sûre (Union Mertert-Wasserbillig)

When planning which game to watch during my stay in Luxembourg, a game at the Stade de la Sûre was very tempting, only because I had previously watched almost all of my games in the south-west of the country, and so it would be been nice to have visited a venue away from that hotbed of Luxembourg club football.



In the end, I decided to visit the home ground of F91 Dudelange on matchday, in the knowledge it is one of the best grounds in the country, and the club has been hitting the headlines recently for their exploits in the Europa League. 



However, the following day, when I visited the town of Wasserbillig, situated right on the border with Germany and nestled in a corner between the Sûre and Moselle rivers, before embarking on a very enjoyable walk up and above the town through vineyards, I decided to have a look at Union Mertert-Wasserbillig's home ground. It was not open, however it was easy to obtain good views of the ground through gates and also above a mound behind one of the goals.





The home club, Union Mertert-Wasserbillig, compete in the second tier of Luxembourg football, in the Promotion d'Honneur. It was a pleasant enough ground, set in some attractive countryside, but its basic facilities - with no seating and only one fairly small and rudimentary stand to cover some of the terracing, left me pleased I did choose to watch the game at Dudelange instead.



No comments: