Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Little Common 1 v 3 Hailsham Town

Tuesday 14th October 2014
Sussex County League Division Two
Recreation Ground, Little Common
Admission including Programme: £4.00
Match Rating: 4

For the third consecutive midweek, I watched Little Common in cup action this evening, for an interesting looking match between two teams that seen plenty of goals in their games so far this season, and the possibility of a giant killing.

This match would be between the fourth placed team in the Sussex League Division Two, Little Common, and the second from bottom team in Division One, Hailsham Town. Following the very one-sided cup victory at Seaford Town last Wednesday, Little Common had a very disappointing defeat at home against Rustington. Hailsham have claimed just one win and one draw from their ten league games so far. To reach this stage of this competition, Little Common had beaten Bexhill United 4-3 and Westfield 2-1, whilst Hailsham Town beat St Francis Rangers 2-1 at home.

On a cool but dry evening, this match had a really entertaining beginning, with both sides looking to attack as the play switched quickly from end to end. The home side almost took the lead with less than two minutes on the clock, Lewis Hole seeing his strike come back off the post. They were to rue that as Hailsham took the lead just four minutes later, Jack Divall hitting a shot from the edge of the area which, although was mishit, took a deflection and gently went past a wrong-footed goalkeeper. Hailsham doubled their lead on 14 minutes, Sam Divall crossing from the left for Danny Leach to thump his shot high into the net. By this stage it was looking like the higher division team would be easing through to the next round, but Little Common pulled a goal back just two minutes later. Steve Morris dinked the ball over the defence, and Hole just managed to beat the keeper to the ball to poke the ball goalwards and into the net. Little Common went on to have the better of the remainder of the half, creating several good chances to get back on level terms, but they went into the break a goal behind but still very much in the game.

Into the second half and the game was much tighter, which suited Hailsham, as Little Common looked much less threatening than they had before the break. However, the game remained in the balance until six minutes from time, when Hailsham made it safe when they scored their third. Jacob Adlam played the ball forward, springing the offside trap and setting Sam Divall through on goal, and he eventually placed the ball past the keeper. Hailsham really should have scored a fourth in added-on time after Adlam managed to dance past the keeper with the ball, but inexplicably fired wide of an open goal and the far post. But it was Hailsham who progressed to the next round and a home tie against another Division Two side in Wick and Barnham United. Hailsham deserved the win overall, although the result could have been very different had Little Common scored more than one when they created plenty of chances in the first half

No comments: