Tuesday, 27 August 2013

Eastbourne United Association 4 v 0 Seaford Town

Monday 26th August 2013
Sussex County League Division Two
The Oval, Eastbourne
Admission: £5.00
Programme: 50p
Attendance: 155
Match Rating: 4

For my August Bank holiday action, I decided to stay fairly local and take in two games in the Eastbourne area. Although I had only visited The Oval just four months ago, I decided that this would be the better game on offer, with the home side in great form as well as the game being a local derby.

The Oval has unsurprisingly not changed since April, however I did get a programme today, a real bargain at just 50p even if it was a double issue, covering Saturday's home game too. Consisting on 36 pages with an attractive cover, it had plenty to digest. It may have a high proportion of advertising, but that is not to be criticised given the price.

After narrowly missing out on promotion last season, they have certainly hit the ground running, winning their opening three league games, scoring 15 goals in the process, as well as progressing in the FA Cup. After finishing last season in 12th place, Seaford have had a poor start to this season, picking up just one point from their opening three league games and exiting the league cup at the first hurdle.

On a very sunny and warm morning, this was an entertaining and competitive game right from the start, although particularly in the first half, Seaford were a match for the home side and had the outstanding chances to score. Indeed, they should have scored after just two minutes when their striker broke clear of the defence, but dithered as he approached the keeper and eventually dribbled the ball out of play. On 16 minutes Eastbourne were awarded a penalty for an apparent trip in the box. It looked a dive, and three linesman convinced the referee change his mind. Six minutes later and the home side did take the lead. Inside the area, the ball was pulled back to Jason Taylor, who hammered the ball inside the keeper's near post. On 29 minutes, Seaford saw a shot tipped onto the bar, although the keeper shouldn't have been given the opportunity to make a save. Several chances came and went for both sides, but 1-0 was how it remained as the half time whistle blew.

Eastbourne United started the second half with much more urgency and it paid dividends within a minute with a great shot on the turn from the edge of the box into the roof of the net by Adam Kneller. On 57 minutes, Eastbourne were awarded a penalty which this time everyone was in agreement with for handball. Wes Tate struck a good shot towards the top right corner of the goal, but the keeper pushed the ball onto the woodwork. Then after failing to convert two one on ones in quick succession, it was third time lucky for Jack Divall. It was almost all Eastbourne in the second half as Seaford rarely threatened, although they did hit the crossbar from a free kick. With virtually the last kick of the game, the home side made it four when Linton Rogers dribbled the ball in from the byline, drew the keeper out before slotting the ball cool inside the near post. So an expected comfortable victory for Eastbourne United, although they didn't play particularly well and missed plenty of glorious chances, and Seaford will be very disappointed with how badly the faded after the break.

No comments: