Wednesday 15 February 2012

Chesterfield P v P Charlton Athletic

Saturday 11th February 2012
Football League One
B2Net Stadium, Chesterfield
Admission: £18.00



Today was a rare occasion when the weather beat me. Having already purchased a ticket for Charlton's first ever trip to Chesterfield's new ground, continued freezing temperatures all week always put this game in doubt, and although the pitch passed an inspection at Friday lunchtime, temperatures fell to around -8c in northern Derbyshire on the Friday night. Considering that, even with a frost cover, there was little likelihood in this game surviving, I decided not to make my way up to Chesterfield, and indeed, this proved the correct call as the game was duly called off at a 10am, pitch inspection.

Most other non-league games also fell victim to the artic conditions, including all games in Kent. I finally managed to find two games that had passed inspections, at Whitehawk and Newhaven, and so off I set out for Brighton to catch Whitehawk's game. Unfortunately I arrived at the station to find all trains delayed and little definite sign of one arriving any time soon, I decided to write today off in football terms and watch the Manchester United - Liverpool game on television instead

No comments: